I do not refer to my oldest son Rob’s birthday 58 years ago, although that was a miracle all by itself, taking hours and much pushing and pain, with the assistance of me and the doctor, he emerged and began to howl after being held upside down and smacked. Isn’t birth a trauma all round?! It is also a blessing! Rob Brakeman was and remains one of the best miracles in my life!!
I will share another less spectacular but equally strange miracle that just happened. Five years ago we bought online a tabletop tree to honor Christmas. Our apartment was too small for a great big tree, but our wee one had strings of wee lights on it and sat atop a bookcase in its balled-up burlap holding its fake roots. At Christmas we adorned it with balls and the correct trimmings. BUT once we took off all the ornaments, our little tree still had majesty and beauty, so it remained. It lightens/brightens up our evenings all year long. In and upon it we have lodged a beautiful butterfly and several owls (totems of wisdom). To say that we’d fallen in love is an understatement. Every night we plug our tree into the wall and she brightens right up. Christmas miracle all year long!!
Then — what to our wondering eyes should appear last evening but the sudden brightening of the upper lights on our little tree. Had we really seen? Yes. We watched and wondered as their brightness grew brighter. Then suddenly they all went out at once, leaving the lower lights on.
We sat startled, and then Dick commented: “Well that was the upper two strings only. How odd.” I of course thought it a holy sign. Perhaps it is the way we all die—a swift brightness and then gone!
We stared for a bit, then, following the wisdom of the owls, decided that we would get another wee tree the same as this one. Dick remembered he had ordered it some years back from “Amazon the almighty”—of course!
Whatever we get, the truth will remain in our hearts. The first little tree and all its blessings over five years, will never be forgotten, even if we find another just like her, well, it will never be the same.
3 comments:
Beautiful. I have a ficus with lights and glass hearts. It is so lovely!
Mmmmhmmmm! Enjoy and rejoice.
I wept I felt to connected to you and the little tree. In my mind you had an affirming visitation. God arriving to share deep joy. The way God feels about all creation I think.
Post a Comment