Sunday, February 23, 2025

2023.02.23 TOTTERING. Lyn G. Brakeman, Spiritual Lemons, blog post


As I stood at the foot of the Town Hall steps in my small Connecticut town, about to enter to change my political party affiliation from Republican to Democrat, I froze. What would Dad say? He was in my heart, not my politics.  


Over the years Dad and I had bickered about differences. He was a staunch Republican, preaching his fear of more war, apparently all caused by Democrats. I’d argued, then voted Republican. But it was 1972. Everyone paid attention. Votes mattered as much as party affiliation. For the first time I put a partisan label —Democrat—on my voting. I couldn’t vote Republican as usual. I couldn’t tell Dad. How he voted mattered less to me than my affection for him. 


Now in 2025, similar issues face our country. Will we be able to live as if we actually are We the People? Will we have the courage to  stand up straight and forgive political rivals like President Ford did when he pardoned Nixon? Many thought Ford foolish. I thought him courageously compassionate.


As an Episcopal priest, now retired, I still remember holding my breath in 1976 when the Episcopal Church voted in favor of ordaining women as priests. I had also wept when my long-Presbyterian dad knelt before an Episcopal bishop to be received into the Episcopal Church.


All Creation, I now believe, is non-partisan, politically ordered, and equally blessed. Oh no? Consider the politics of Divinity envisioned by the biblical Job after a lifetime of politicking his particular version of God.  

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Right on Sis. I also dearly loved our Father. Perfection and politics were at the bottom of my list. The love for my Dad and his love of me were at the top. I continue to ponder why it takes so long to prioritize what truly matters I feel blessed to be still fully engaged in that process.

Lyn G. Brakeman said...

Yup!