Sunday, December 3, 2023

2023.12.04 Advent Apocalypse, Lyn G. Brakeman, Spiritual Lemons, blog post


Someone’s coming for more than dinner. But we don’t know exactly who or when or even why. Did we invite this guest? Not really. Did this guest RSVP as required? No. 


Well, I tell you it’s a secret, but one I promise will be very very good for you and for all the world to remember who we are together. All you have to do is stay alert and pay attention. If it’s too hard then set up watch people and rotate their shifts. 


I remember when we were small children my little sister and I woke up early, before the sun. We knew the instructions. We had to wait—and wait. And wait some more. We had been told that only Santa knew, but I already suspected that “Santa” was really our parents. I also knew that I was not supposed to tell my little sister who was still a believer, even though I already knew that God was more real than Santa. I devised a plan whereby my little sister, being small and agile, would sneak down to peak. She was too scared so I tickled her into submission. We both started to giggle and shush, giggle then hush. The sun at last rose up to light the day, and our mother brought us our stockings full of oranges, and lady apples and little toys. Thus we rejoiced at our bounty, our small but trustworthy apocalypse.  


 

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I remember being really excited to open my stocking. I remembered the tangerine and the lady apple and I was of course hungry. I was very ticklish but apparently too scared of trying to peek. Were we ever really that young? It seems so far away.

Lyn G. Brakeman said...

Yes, we were. And what is important to me is the realization that God made more sense than Santa. YES!!

Laurie said...

No not for me they both start as a myth and they both run of love. Of course they are different as one represents the love from your parents which is different from love from God. but as a child they are both fully embraced by our heart.

Lyn G. Brakeman said...

I'm commenting so it looks as if my blog gets a lot of comments. LOL Seriously, however, Eden's Garden is a myth but Creation is not when we look around and also pray for it to always be worthy of song, poetry, myths and our own deep caring.