Sunday, May 28, 2023

2023.05.28 PENTECOST, Lyn G. Brakeman, Spiritual Lemons, blog post

I’ve loved and trusted the Presence of God since childhood, but I’ve never felt the urge to evangelize as we Christians are supposed to, right?  To me Pentecost was/is not the birthday of the Christian Church, nor the arrival of the Holy Spirit for the first time ever, but rather a stunning advertisement for the steadfast loving Spirit of God, present broadly, deeply, and wildly to all sorts of people the world over. Will they all be Christians? Not likely. Will they all be endowed with divine grace? Yes. Is that enough salvation? Yes. Is it the only way of salvation? No.

*  *  *  *

Recently at a sacred music concert taking place in an enormous church sanctuary, a listener turned to me and said bluntly: “What’s a mystic?” As if I knew! People ask clergy the most annoying real questions just because we are clergy. Clergy are NOT God, thank God!  


Still, the question got me wondering: What IS a  mystic really?  


A prayer practitioner. 


Pop-up answers seem foolish, I know, yet they are the kind of answers that force my attention away from my ego and all my educated answers. A prayer practitioner?  


Who, what, where, when, and why? 


WHO is a prayer practitioner? Anyone hoping, perhaps longing, to deepen their relationship of love with self, God and neighbor.  


WHAT is prayer? Being silent, preferably in solitude, while willing to open up to inner thoughts and feelings, to listen for God in your soul or notice God sitting on the branch of a tree. 


WHERE? At a place of deep quiet usually but not always at a monastery or a convent, run by monks or nuns whose ministry is to provide and maintain space and hospitality for prayer practitioners. 


WHEN? As soon as you admit to yourself that you need well, to know what the hell you are doing with your life.  And when you decide to sign up for a silent directed retreat for 3 days, then for 5 days and eventually for a whole week or 10 days. And when you submit to talking about your innards with a wise and trained Spiritual Director who listens and makes suggestions about things to use from Scripture or, annoyingly, recommends more silence. That’s when you take a walk, fume to God about all this damned silence, return to your room and sleep like a champ. 


WHY?  Because I said so.  On my first silent directed retreat, I stared for a very long time at a huge portrait of a rose. I loved its sheer size, its astounding beauty, elegance, and all its petals. I went to the greenhouse and asked if the man I met there was the gardener, just like Mary Magdalene had asked the Risen Christ who appeared to her as she wept at Jesus’s empty tomb in the gospel story in John 20:15.  In my case, this guy in the greenhouse actually was the gardener. He gave me one rose. I took it back to my room and dissected it, one petal at a time. The bright red petals were strewn all over the floor. There were only about 29. I left the petals and slept. The next day I returned to the chapel where the rose portrait hung. This time I noticed its long stem. There were thorns, sharp and pointed all along the stem on both sides.


 The thorns were hard. I frowned.


The petals were soft. I cried.


The petals far outnumbered the thorns.  I laughed.





  






2 comments:

Lyn G. Brakeman said...

I long for views such as yours- of a God who loves extravagantly, who provides outpouring of love to all- regardless. Who doesn't require rote prayers but who honors longings, yearnings and questions. Thank you for your message today.

Posted with permission of a blog reader.

Marya said...

Your blog reader could not have said it better. I am comforted by the fact that you love to write… It is a way for you to stay connected to yourself and others and we so need your connection in our worlds.

Thank you for expressing your lavish love of God “who adores each and everyone of us as if there is only one of us.” (St. Augustine)

Thank you for reminding us that we can all attend to Mystic in each of us by taking time to peel away the petals of the roses in our lives to find both delicacy and thorns and find a way to laugh for…

Thank you for your ever expressive theological mind and heart that Healy’s us reverently and irreverently come before the God of our understanding with wildness and gratitude! I am ever so grateful for YOU!