Modern Declaration
by Edna St. Vincent Millay
I, having loved ever since I was a child a few things, never
having wavered
In these affection; never through shyness in the houses of
the
rich or in the presence of clergymen having denied these
loves;
Never when worked upon by cynics like chiropractors having
grunted or clicked a vertebra to the discredit of these
loves;
Never when anxious to land a job having diminished them by
a conniving smile; or when befuddled by drink
Jeered at them through heartache or lazily fondled the fingers
of their alert enemies; declare
That I shall love you always.
No matter what party is in power;
No matter what temporarily expedient combination of allied
interests wins the war;
Shall love you always.
I might have meant this declaration of love to address God whose presence I met as a young child and trust every day—okay with some dips and pauses.
But today I mean this poem for my beloved spouse of 33 years. We were married within the context of the parish Sunday morning Eucharist on Christ the King Sunday, November 23, 1986 with the proviso that we NOT sing the traditionally-themed hymn, “Crown Him With Many Crowns.” There were, and are, enough “hims” taking over everything everywhere that one more hymn to him was just too much, I ruled. And not on the day of my second marriage.
This day honors a God who brings life out of death. For us, that “death” was the end of our first marriages. I felt joy, fear, grief, gratitude, and love all at once. My pile of feelings brought a few tears during the vows. I will never forget the look on my dearly beloved’s face. The memory makes us laugh. I felt the need and trust of God’s presence intensely, and I was marrying a man who shared that faith. We still do and we call Christ the King Christ in Majesty—a tad less gendered, though I prefer Christ the Kin (one of the Germanic origins of the word King). Yes!
So we married each other on this special Sunday, which in 1986 was November 23. I have never regretted a single moment of our 33 years of loving and sparring and loving and weeping and loving again and again. So, dearly beloved, I say, with the poet (never say poetESS):
That I shall love you always.
No matter what party is in power;
No matter what temporarily expedient combination of allied
interests wins the war;
Shall love you always.

4 comments:
Happy Anniversary! You look happy and healthy.
Oh, happiest of days, Lyn and Dick! I appreciate your choice of Edna St. Vincent Millay. I am thankful it was not "What Lips my Lips Have Kissed and Where and Why . . . ," which is more often my "go-to" these days. I celebrate your union and your journey with you. Sometimes the sift and sort of life brings us to the only thing that really does matter- love. Happy Anniversary.
Happy Anniversary from all of us at Holy Cross Monastery.
What a blessing! Congratulations to you both on this grand occasion.
Proof that love is all we need. Abiding in love as the saying goes IS abiding in God.
May your dance continue for many years to come.
Much love,
patricia and james
Post a Comment