Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013.02.10 Thirteen-End Stereotypes for Lent?


How about we give up stereotypes for 2013, starting with the superstitious demonization of the number thirteen as unlucky?

Today we are shoveling out from under the snow blizzard of 2013. Such abundance of white natural beauty fills me with awe. Awe is, stereotypically,  supposed to elevate my gaze to the heavens, but instead it immediately plunges me downward and into awareness of earthen reality: Please God don’t let anyone freeze to death. And I never thought of carbon monoxide deaths from snow-clogged tail pipes. Remember to clean them if they've been buried in snow.

Still, the shouts of joy and delight of all the children sledding in the park brought tears, and warm memories.

Nothing is all good, or all bad. 

This morning on the Interstate I looked over to my left, and there was a woman in a brand new Cadillac doing 65 mph with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner.



I looked away for a couple seconds--to continue shaving --and when I looked back, she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup.



As a man, I don't scare easily. But she scared me so much, I had to put on my seat belt, 
and I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand. 

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car, using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear, and it fell into the coffee between my legs, splashing and burning Big Jim and the Twins, ruining the damn phone, soaking my trousers, and disconnecting an important call.



Damn women drivers!

This joke made me laugh and also reminded me again how stereotypes can rule our hearts and make us certain, for example, that all women are bad drivers, and all men are unconscious. 

For many women today, 13 has come to be the number of the divine feminine.
And consider the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution with the Emancipation Proclamation proclaiming that all people are equal under the law.  Also see the movie "Lincoln" that proclaims the astonishing political process of that challenging time. Sometime politics works for good— and for God, who shapes souls through the chaos of politics, and the quiet of prayer.

And how many of us know, or remember,  a 13 year old freshly-minted teen?  Grounded in glory—enough to trip over.

No comments: